Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green the other day. I had heard really good things about it from several book groups and authors. It's also coming out as a movie later this year. I like to read the books before I see a movie, so I gave this one a shot. I loved it. It's such a unique piece of fiction. I can't say that I've read anything like it up to this point in my life. I've written a review for it and will post it here. Maybe it'll inspire you to pick it up. If not, I think you should pick it up anyway and give it a chance. It might surprise you.


Synopsis:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My review: 5 stars
This book was really different than my norm for books. It was an excellent book, though. It made me laugh and smile. It had me pondering life itself. John Green presents so many things about our world that we don’t think about or that we take for granted. It was a huge eye opener to see the world through a completely new perspective. A perspective, I think, that will stay with me for quite some time. I fell in love with the characters. They’re quite obviously flawed. Aside from their physical disabilities they are extremely unique people with a way of thinking that is just, for like of better words, odd. They had such odd banter back and forth, but it totally worked for them and the story. I found myself thinking, “What?” just as their parents would give them weird looks as well.
It has a tragic twist that teaches us things are never certain. The odds may be in your favor but that doesn’t mean they’ll work out. The number of things that can happen or not happen are infinite. One quote I loved is “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” There are so many great quotes from this book that really make you think. For a Young Adult book I didn’t expect it to have this much effect on me. I highly recommend this book. Even if you aren’t into Young Adult just give it a chance. It may surprise you. It may make you think about something in a different light. Hazel, Augustus, and Isaac are going to stick around for a while. They won’t drift away into the unknown. They may be fictional characters but what they represent and how John Green has made them perceive a world that has not always treated them the best is something that can most definitely be taken away from this book and applied to everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment